Saturday, March 28, 2009

same same but different

Currently in Luang Prabang (Laos). Spent the last two days on a boat from Chang Khong to Luang Prabang. It's a great way to travel, and to meet people to do things with once you arrive. And the scenery was beautiful.

Luang Prabang is a great town so far. I can finally get some use out of the French I studied for years. I can't tell if Laos in general has a different feel to it, or if it is Luang Prabang itself, but I like it.

Today we did a 35k bike ride up and down hills to reach a series of beautiful waterfalls. It was a hell of a ride; a road bike would've been better than the mountain bikes we rented, but at least they had gears. There are about 7 different pools with waterfalls, some of which you can swim in. The most popular one had a 15 foot drop you could jump off and a tree with a rope to launch into the pool from. Good times.

Also: Beer Lao is better than the Thai beers I've tried so far (Singha, Chang, Leo, Archa).

4 comments:

  1. Hey Dood,

    Sounds like your having a great time, drink a beer for me!

    Durkee

    ReplyDelete
  2. All sounds like tons of fun... but two days on a boat in the jungle? I dunno... that might test my limits of adventure. I'm guessing it was no majestic cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how can you think anything is better than Chang? Oh how I miss it. I got a shirt that says same same but different, our trek guide said that all the time. Sounds like you're having a blast, can't wait to see some pictures

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waterfalls?! Beer?! That's more than I can say for my life lately ;) Sounds like you're having a BLAST! Can't wait for picturessss

    ReplyDelete