Monday, March 23, 2009

3/23/2552 (Thailand is very advanced)

Hi All.

I don't have my notepad with me, so I'll hold off on some of the "epic" story telling.
Instead, a random observation:

While at one of the temples outside Chiang Mai, I was lucky enough to observe a monk performing a service/giving a blessing to a patron. It reminded me of the little I've seen in mosques and churches, in that the monk was praying over him, and occasionally flicked water onto the man with a brush of reeds. I enjoyed seeing this common thread of all religions and cultures.

Also, while the monk was performing the service, a cat was climbing all over him trying to get attention, rubbing against his hands.

At the same temple I saw young boys (not in monks' robes) sweeping the water around on the tiles, trying to keep it somewhat dry. While it was still raining. I did slip and almost fall because of my bare feet. Can an ancient buddha image grin? I think so. Can an ancient buddha image make it stop raining after? Probably not, but the rain did end.

I am alive and mostly uninjured: my abrasions are mostly healed (yes, I had a spill off the scooter on a wet dirt road near the summit of Doi Suthep; yes, it was worth it; yes, I'd do it again), the grass cuts are fading, and the insect bites are clearing up as new ones replace them. I'm also not having the bizarre dreams many people taking Malarone (to prevent malaria) experience.

Currently in Chiang Rai, a smaller, more northern version of Chiang Mai. It used to be a popular destination for Thai tourists. It's a lot cleaner and nicer, but also seems to be more laid back/boring. Bangkok is still where I'd like to live in Thailand. Headed in to Laos in the next few days for about a week. We'll be taking a boat for 2 days down the river to get to Luang Prabang from Chang Khong.

1 comment:

  1. When you get to Laos, you know the soundtrack that needs to be playing in your head?

    "Are ya Chinese or Japanese? I'm from LAOS!"

    ReplyDelete